Frequently Asked Questions About How to Apply to the Residency Program at the University of Texas Health Science Center - Houston
1. How do I apply to your residency program?
All students and graduates must apply to our program via the ERAS online system. Click on this ERAS home page link to go directly the ERAS site. You may apply beginning approximately August 15th through the end of December. Our program does not interview anyone outside the ERAS system and we do not offer positions outside the match.
2. When does your "Interview Season" begin and end?
We begin interviewing applicants November 1st and end January 31st. YOU MUST APPLY VIA THE ERAS SYSTEM.
3. How will I know whether I will be invited for interview?
The Residency Program Director will review personally all applications submitted via the ERAS system. If you are chosen for interview, you will receive a personal email inviting you to contact the House Staff office to schedule an interview. Do not call the office to check the status of your application.
4. What are the minimum USMLE scores you require for application to your residency program?
Each application is judged on its own merits and there is no minimum required score. We generally recommend a score of 85 or higher on Step 1 and Step 2. This is an estimate only. Candidates with exceptional abilities in other areas may be considered even if their USMLE scores are slightly lower.
5. How many applicants will you interview this year?
Each year the pediatric residency program interviews approximately 300 candidates.
6. How many residents are accepted into your program each year?
Our typical intern class of pediatric residents is composed of 22 categorical pediatric residents and 6 Combined Medicine-Pediatric residents. There are occasional exceptions, but this is most common.
7. When will I find out whether or not I have been accepted to your residency program?
Our Pediatric and Medicine-Pediatric Residency programs participate in the NRMP "Match." Match Day 2013 is scheduled for March 15, 2013. Click on this link to learn more about how the match process works: http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/yearly.html
8. What kind of visa does your residency program accept from International Medical Graduates?
The only appropriate training visa is the J-1 visa. We do not work with or sponsor any other visas. IMPORTANT: You must have a valid ECFMG certificate before applying to our residency program. Click for more information about International Medical Graduate requirements.
9. Is U.S. experienced required for International Medical Graduates ?
No. U.S. experience is helpful, but not required. Click for more information about International Medical Graduate requirements.
10. Is there a cutoff date for year of graduation?
No, there is no cutoff date for graduation from medical school. There may be a gap between the time you graduated from medical school and the time you apply to our residency program. Click for more information about International Medical Graduate requirements.
More Questions? Contact Us
Location & Contact
6431 Fannin Street
Houston, Texas 77030