The Department of Pediatrics at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston is dedicated to improving the health and welfare of all infants, children, and adolescents.
Gretchen Von Allmen, M.D.
B.S., Biology, French Literature, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, 1992
M.D., Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, 1998
Internship (Internal Medicine) Department of Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, 1999
Internship (Pediatrics) Department of Pediatrics, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, 2000
Residency Department of Neurology, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, 2003
Fellow (Pediatric Epilepsy) Department of Pediatrics,The University of Chicago Hospitals,Chicago, Ilinois, 2005
Fellow (Clinical Neurophysiology) Baylor College of Medicine, 2007
7/2005 – 6/2006 Clinical Scientist Training Program, Baylor College of Medicine
8/2003 – 3/2005 Fellowship in Pediatric Epilepsy
Clinical and Research Interests:
- Diagnosis and treatment of intractable pediatric epilepsy
- Genetic and pathological mechanisms of intractable pediatric epilepsy
- Pediatric epilepsy surgery – advancement of localization and outcome
- Management of intractable pediatric epilepsy in brain malformations, including focal cortical dysplasias and Tuberous Sclerosis
- Developmental outcome and functional brain reorganization after epilepsy resective surgery and corpus callosotomy
- Neurophysiology and long-term video EEG monitoring with extracranial and intracranial electrodes
- Development of new and innovative medical treatments for intractable epilepsies in children
- Wieck, G., Leventer, R., Squier W., Ramazzotti, A., Jansen, A., Andermann, E., Dubeau, F., Ramazzotti, A., Guerrini, R., Dobyns, W. Periventricular Nodular Heterotopia with Overlying Polymicrogyria (2005). Brain, 128: 2811-2821.
- Wieck, G., Falls, D. Studies of Neuregulin Cytoplasmic Domain Function in COS-7 Cells and Brain Subventricular Zone Cells. Meeting of Medical Student Fellows, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Bethesda, Maryland, May 1997. (Presentation and Abstract)
- Von Allmen, G., Hogga, I., Spierer, A., Karch, F., Bender, W., Gyurkovics, H., Lewis, E. Splits in fruitfly Hox gene complexes (1996). Nature, 380: 116.
- Galloni, M., Hogga, I., Von Allmen, G., Sipos, L., Gausz, J., Gyurkovics, H., Schedl, P., Karch, F. DNA Domain Boundaries in the Bithorax Complex. 34th Annual Drosophila Research Conference, San Diego, California, 1993. (Poster)
- Kamdar, P., Von Allmen, G., Finnerty, V. Transient expression of DNA in Drosophila via electroporation (1992). Nucleic Acid Research, 20: 3526.
Location & Contact
6431 Fannin Street
Houston, Texas 77030
- Gretchen Von Allmen, M.D.
- Departments of Pediatrics and Neurology
- Division of Child & Adolescent Neurology
- University of Texas-Houston Medical School
6431 Fannin Street, MSB 3.153
Houston, Texas 77030
- Phone: (713) 500-7113
- Fax: (713) 500-7101
- Executive Assistant: Kendra Cocek (713) 500-7165