The Department of Pediatrics at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston is dedicated to improving the health and welfare of all infants, children, and adolescents.
Mary Kay Koenig, M.D.
B.S., Biochemistry, University of Texas, Austin,TX
M.S., Microbiology, Southwest Texas State University, San Marcos, TX
M.D.,St. George's School of Medicine
Residency, Pediatrics, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX
Fellowship, Neurology, University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, TX
Clinical and Research Interests:
- General Pediatric Neurology
- Mitochondrial Disorders
- Tuberous Sclerosis
- Neurogenetic Disorders
- Neurometabolic Disorders
- Koenig, MK and R. McLean. Influence of metal ions and temperature on the conformation of Escherichia coli K1 capsular polysaccharide. Biometals. 1999;12:47-52. Wheless JW,
- Chacon MM, Breier J, Koenig MK, McMannis M, Castillo E, and JE Baumgartner. Corpus callosotomy: a palliative therapeutic technique may help identify resectable eplipetogenic foci. Epilepsia. 2008;16:545-553.
- Koenig MK, Rothenberg S, Perez M, Butler IJ. Juvenile onset central nervous system folate deficiency and rheumatoid arthritis. Journal of Child Neurology. 2008:23;106-107.
- Koenig MK, Butler IJ, Northrup H. Regression of SEGA with rapamycin in TSC. J Child Neurol. 2008;23:1238-1239.
- Koenig MK, Sitton C, Wang M, Slopis J. CNS complications of blastic hyperleukocytosis in childhood ALL, diagnostic and prognostic implications. J Child Neurol. 2008;23:1347-1352.
- Muncy J, Butler IJ, Koenig MK. Rapamycin reduces seizure frequency in tuberous sclerosis complex. J Child Neurol. 2009; 24: 477.
- Koenig MK and Butler IJ, "Tetrahydrobiopterin Deficiency". Free Radicals in Neurology. (2009), Springer Science+Business Media LLC, New York, New York.
- Northrup H, Gambello M, Au P, Koenig MK."Tuberous Sclerosis". Management of Genetic Syndromes.(2009-3rd ed.), Wiley-Liss Publication, Hoboken, New Jersey.
- Saneto RP, Lee IC, Koenig MK, Bao X, Weng SW, Naviaux RK, and LJ Wong. POLG DNA testing as an emerging standard of care before instituting valproic acid therapy for pediatric seizure disorders. Seizure. 2010:19;140-146. NIHMS# 282745.
- Faz G, Butler IJ, and Koenig MK. Incidence of papilledema and obesity in children diagnosed with idiopathic “benign” intracranial hypertension: case series and review. Journal of Child Neurology. 2010:25;1389-1392. NIHMS# 282744.
- Lankford J, Butler IJ, and Koenig MK. Glucose transporter type I deficiency causing mitochondrial dysfunction. Journal of Child Neurology. 2012;796-798.
- Moody S, Pacheco S, Butler IJ, and Koenig MK. Secondary erythromelalgia successfully treated with intravenous immunoglobulin. Journal of Child Neurology. 2012;922-923.
- Chevallier JA, Koenig MK. Friedreich-like ataxia as an initial manifestation of mitochondrial DNA 8344A>G mutation. Journal of Child Neurology. 2012;1056-1058.
- Sadighi Z, Butler IJ, and Koenig MK. Adult onset cerebral folate deficiency. Archives of Neurology. 2012;778-779.
- Bhardwaj J, Wan DQ, Koenig MK, Liu U, Hashmi SSR, Rhoads JM. Impaired gastric emptying and small bowel transit in children with mitochondrial disorders. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition. 2012;194-199.
Supsupin EP, Aalbers B, Davis A, Bonfante-Mejia EE, Koenig, MK, Sitton CW, Hochhauser L. Cerebral Folate Deficiency: Image findings before and after treatment. American Society of Neuroradiology 2009.
Koenig, MK. Shifting of Mitochondrial Heteroplasmy Under Ketogenic Conditions. 2009 National Clinical and Translational Research Education Annual Meeting. (submitted)
Bhardwaj J, Rhoads M, Koenig MK. Spectrum of gastrointestinal problems in children with electron transport chain (ETC) mitochondrial disorders. Pediatric Academic Society, Baltimore 2009 Digestive Disease Week, Chicago-2009. United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation Annual Meeting 2009, Vienna, VA.
Pacheco SE, Smith KG, Muncy JL, Koenig MK. Recurrent sinopulmonary infections, bacteremia and sepsis in children with mitochondrial complex I-III deficiency: Immunological abnormalities. United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation, 2009 Annual Meeting, Vienna, VA.
Bhardwaj J, Koenig MK, Rhoads J. Inverse correlation of ammonia and serum arginine levels in children with disorders of mitochondrial metabolism. Digestive Disease Week, 2010, New Orleans, LA.
Pacheco SE, Muncy J, Koenig MK, Smith KG. Children with mitochondrial disease and recurrent infections: a paradigm shift in our interpretation of immunodeficiency? American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology Annual Meeting, 2010, New Orleans, LA.
Bhardwaj J, Koenig MK, Rhoads J. Inverse correlation of ammonia and serum arginine levels in children with disorders of mitochondrial metabolism. United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation Annual Meeting, 2010, Scottsdale, AZ.
Pacheco SE, Muncy J, Koenig MK, Smith KG. Children with mitochondrial disease and recurrent infections: a paradigm shift in our interpretation of immunodeficiency? United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation Annual Meeting, 2010, Scottsdale, AZ.
Rafique M, Sridhar S, Pamidimukkala V, Khan Q, Pant K, Koenig MK, Maposa D. Mitochondrial Disorders and Their Anesthetic Implications. 64th Postgraduate Assembly in Anesthesiology. December 2010, New York City, NY.
Koenig MK, Lester L, Northrup H, Hebert A. Angiofibroma grading scale. Annual American Academy of Dermatology Meeting, February 2011, New Orleans, LA.
Carson SW, Letourneau M, Koenig MK, Tsao K. Underestimated gastrointestinal dysmotility in pediatric mitochondrial disease patients. 6th Annual Academic Surgical Congress Meeting. February 2011, Huntington Beach, CA.
Mosquera RA, Koenig MK, Chevallier J, Jon C, Smith KG, Colasurdo G, Pacheco, S. Sleep Disordered-Breathing is a Frequent Finding in Children with Mitochondrial Disease. American Thoracic Society International Conference. May 13, 2011, Denver, CO.
Bhardwaj J, Koenig MK, Rhoads JM. Impaired gastric emptying and small bowel transit in children with mitochondrial disorders. United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation Annual Meeting, June, 2011, Chicago, Illinois.
Mancias P, Koenig MK. A fairly common disorder presenting uncommonly as paraparesis in a young girl. 34th Annual Carrell-Krusen Neuromuscular Symptosium, February, 2012, Dallas, Texas.
Bonfante-Mejia EE, Koenig MK, Riascos R, Supsupin E. The many disguises of mitochondrial disease. American Society of Neuroradiology Meeting, April, 2012, New York, New York.
Memon N, Briceno DF, Koenig MK, Numan M, Kantharia B. Electrophysiologic Manifestations of Mitochondrial Crisis, Heart Rhythm Journal: November 2012; p1920-1921.
Location & Contact
6431 Fannin Street
Houston, Texas 77030
- Mary Kay Koenig, M.D.
- Departments of Pediatrics and Neurology
- Division of Child & Adolescent Neurology
- University of Texas-Houston Medical School
6410 Fannin, Suite 732
Houston, Texas 77030
- Academic Office
- Phone: (713) 500-7137
- Fax: (713) 500-7101
e-mail: Mary.K.Koenig@uth. tmc.edu
- Executive Assistant: Alexis Loud: (713) 500-7137
Nurse Coordinator: LaKeesha Minor LaKeesha.Minor @uth.tmc.edu
Phone:(713) 500-7164 Fax:(713)500-0719