The Department of Pediatrics at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston is dedicated to improving the health and welfare of all infants, children, and adolescents.
Rebecca Girardet, MD
BA: Human Biology, Stanford University, Palo Alto, California
MD: University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona
Residency: Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
Clinical and Research Interests:
- Child physical and sexual abuse
- Child Advocacy
- Board certified in Child Abuse Pediatrics
- Board certified in Pediatrics
Texas Pediatric Society "Chair Emeritus" award for service as co-chair of the Committee on Child Abuse and Neglect
Team Excellence Award, Advocacy Centers of Texas
- 2006 - present
Member of the Ray Helfer Society,
an honorary society for physician specialists in child maltreatment
- Lahoti S, Girardet R, McNeese M, Greeley C. Child Sexual Abuse. BMJ Publishing group point-of-care website. Accepted for publication 1/2008. Revised 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Unger ER, Fajman NN, Maloney EM, Onyekwuluje J, Swan DC, Howard L, Beck-Sagué CM, Sawyer MK, Girardet RG, Sautter RL, Hammerschlag MR, Black CM. Anogenital human papillomavirus in sexually abused and nonabused children: A multicenter study. Pediatrics 2011 Aug 15 [Epub ahead of print]
- Girardet R, Bolton K, Lahoti S, Mowbray H, Giardino A, Isaac R, Arnold W, Mead B, Paes N. Collection of forensic evidence from pediatric victims of sexual assault. Pediatrics 2011;128:233-8. Epub 2011 Jul 25.
- Girardet R. “Bacterial Sexually Transmitted Infections in Children” in Child Abuse and Neglect: Diagnosis, Treatment, and Evidence, first edition, Jenny C editor, Saunders 2011
- Girardet RG and Giardino AP. “Evaluation of physical abuse and neglect” in A Practical Guide to the Evaluation of Child Physical Abuse and Neglect, second edition, Giardino AP, Lyn MA and Giardino ER, eds. Springer 2010
- Toy EC, Yetman RJ, Girardet RG, Hormann MD, Lahoti SL, McNeese MC, Sanders J,. Case Files: Pediatrics, Third Edition. McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. 2010.
- Girardet RG, Lahoti S, Howard LA, Fajman NN, Sawyer MK, Driebe EM, Lee F, Sautter RL, Greenwald E, Beck- Sagué CM, Hammerschlag MR, Black CM. The epidemiology of sexually transmitted infections in suspected child victims of sexual assault. Pediatrics 2009 Jul;124(1):79-86.
- Black CM, Driebe EM, Howard LA, Fajman NN, Sawyer MK, Girardet RG, Sautter RL, Greenwald E, Beck- Sagué CM, Unger ER, Igietseme JU, Hammerschlag MR. Multicenter study of nucleic acid amplification tests for detection of Chlamydia trachomatis and Neisseria gonorrhoeae in children being evaluated for sexual abuse, Pediatr Infect Dis J 2009 Jul;28(7):608-613.
- Girardet R, Lemme S, Biason T, Bolton K, Lahoti, S. HIV post-exposure prophylaxis in children and adolescents presenting for suspected sexual assault. Child Abuse Negl 33:173-178, 2009.
- Girardet R, Giacobbe L, Bolton K, Lahoti S, McNeese M. Unmet health care needs among children presenting for sexual assault evaluation. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 160:70-73, 2006.
- Lahoti S, McClain N, Girardet R, & McNeese M. Two cases of anal fistulae in young females evaluated for sexual abuse. J Pediatr Surgery. 37(1):132-3, 2002.
- Girardet R, McClain N, Lahoti S, Cheung K, Hartwell B, Berger, K, McNeese M. Comparison of the urine-based ligase chain reaction test to culture for detection of Chlamydia trachomatis and Neisseria gonorrhoeae in pediatric sexual abuse victims. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 20:144-7, 2001.
- Kellogg, N.D., Girardet, R, Reed, W.J. “Acute and Nonacute Anogenital Findings Associated with Sexual Abuse/Assault” in The Medical Evaluation of Child and Adolescent Sexual Abuse, published by the Texas Pediatric Society Committee on Child Abuse and Neglect, 2001.
Location & Contact
6431 Fannin Street
Houston, Texas 77030
- Rebecca Girardet, MD
- Department of Pediatrics
Division of Community and General Medicine
- University of Texas-Houston Medical School
6431 Fannin Street
Houston, Texas 77030
- phone: (713) 500-5771
e-mail: Rebecca.G.Girardet@ uth.tmc.edu