The Department of Pediatrics at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston is dedicated to improving the health and welfare of all infants, children, and adolescents.
Pauline A. Filipek, MD
M.D., Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington DC
Residency, Pediatrics - University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester MA
Residency, Neurology with Special Competence in Child Neurology - Massachusetts General Hospital/ Harvard Medical School, Boston MA
Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital/ Harvard Medical School, Boston MA
Clinical and Research Interests:
- Autistic Spectrum Disorders
- Filipek PA, Accardo PJ, Baranek GT, Cook EH Jr, Dawson G, Gordon B, Gravel JS, Johnson CP, Kallan RJ, Levy SE, Minshew NJ, Prizant BM, Rapin I, Rogers SJ, Stone WL, Teplin S, Tuchman RF, Volkmar FR. The screening and diagnosis of autistic spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 1999; 29: 437-482.
- American Academy of Neurology. Practice parameter: Screening and diagnosis of autistic spectrum disorders. Neurology 2000, 55: 468-479.
- Owley T, McMahon W, Cook E, Laulhere T, South M, Mays L, Steele E, Lainhart J, Modahl C, Corsello C, Ozonoff S, Risi S, Lord C, Leventhal B, Filipek P. A multi-site, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of porcine secretin in autism. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2001; 40:1293‑1299.
- Lord C, Bristol-Power M, Cafiero JM, Filipek PA, Gallagher JJ, Harris SL, McGee GG, Odom SL, Rogers SJ, Volkmar FR, Wetherby AM (Committee on Educational Interventions for Children with Autism). Lord C, McGee JP (Eds). Educating Children with Autism. National Research Council: Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education. Washington, DC. National Academy Press: 2001.
- South M, Williams BJ, McMahon WM, Owley T, Filipek PA, Shernoff E, Corsello C, Lainhart JE, Landa R, Ozonoff S. Utility of the Gilliam Autism Rating Scale in research and clinical populations. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2002; 32:593‑599.
- Smith M, Woodroffe R, Smith R, Holguin S, Martinez J, Filipek PA, Modahl C, Moore B, Bocian ME, Mays L, Taulhere T, Flodman P, Spence MA. Molecular genetic delineation of a deletion of chromosome 13q12‑‑>q13 in a patient with autism and auditory processing deficits. Cytogenetic and Genome Research 2002;98(4):233‑9.
- Filipek PA, Juranek J, Gargus JJ, Smith M, Ramos ER, Mays LZ, Bocian M, Masser-Frye D, Laulhere TM, Modahl CM, Spence MA. Evidence of mitochondrial dysfunction in autistic patients with 15q inverted duplication. Annals of Neurology 2003; 53:801-804.
- Goldberg WA, Osann K, Filipek PA, Laulhere T, Jarvis K, Modahl C, Flodman P, Spence MA. Language and other regression: Assessment and timing. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2003; 33: 607-616.
- Filipek PA, Juranek J, Nguyen MT, Cummings C, Gargus JJ. Relative carnitine deficiency in autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2004; 34(6): 615-623.
- Taylor HG, Minich N, Bangert B, Filipek PA, Hack M. Long-term neuropsychological outcomes of very low birth weight: associations with early risks for periventricular brain insults. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society 2004; 10:987‑1004.
- Goldberg WA, Jarvis KL, Osann K, Laulhere TM, Straub C, Thomas E, Filipek PA, Spence MA. Early social communication behaviors in the younger siblings of children with autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2005; 35: 657-664.
- Filipek PA. Medical aspects of autism (Chapter 20, pp 534-578). [In] Volkmar FR, Paul, R. Klin A, & Cohen DJ (eds). Handbook of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorders, 3rd Edition. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
- Kim HL, Donnelly JH, Tournay AE, Book TM, Filipek PA. Absence of seizures despite high prevalence of epileptiform EEG abnormalities in autistic children monitored in a tertiary care center. Epilepsia 2006; 47: 394-398.
- Mandelbaum DE, Stevens M, Rosenberg E, Wiznitzer M, Steinschneider M, Filipek PA, Rapin I. Comparison of sensorimotor performance in children with autism, developmental language disorder, and low IQ. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 2006; 48: 33-39.
- Filipek PA, Steinberg-Epstein R, Book TM. Intervention for autistic spectrum disorders. NeuroRx: The Journal of the American Society for Experimental NeuroTherapeutics 2006; 3:207-216.
- Juranek J, Filipek PA, Berenji GR, Modahl C, Osann K, Spence MA. Association between amygdala volume and anxiety level: An aMRI study in autistic children. Journal of Child Neurology 2006; 21:1051-1058.
- Gage NM, Juranek J, Filipek PA, Osann K, Flodman P, Isenberg AL, Spence MA. Rightward hemispheric asymmetries in auditory language cortex in children with autistic disorder: an MRI investigation. Journal of Neurodevelopmental Disorders 2009; 1:205-214.
- Betjemann RS, Phinney Johnson E, Barnard H, Boada R, Filley CM, Filipek PA, Willcutt EG, DeFries JC, Pennington BF. Genetic covariation between brain volumes and IQ, reading performance, and processing speed. Behavior Genetics, in press.
- Hirtz D, Wagner A, Filipek PA. The Autistic Spectrum Disorders. [In] Swaiman KF, Ashwal S (eds). Pediatric Neurology. Principles and Practice. Fifth Edition. Philadelphia: WB Saunders-Mosby, in press.
Location & Contact
6431 Fannin Street
Houston, Texas 77030
- Pauline A. Filipek, MD
- Department of Pediatrics
Children's Learning Institute
- University of Texas-Houston Medical School
7000 Fannin, Suite 2300
Houston, Texas 77030
- Phone: (713) 500-3709
- Fax: (713) 500-3705
e-mail: Pauline.A.Filipek@ uth.tmc.edu
- Executive Assistant: Brandy Chandler (713) 500-7142