The Department of Pediatrics at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston is dedicated to improving the health and welfare of all infants, children, and adolescents.
Miguel A. Escobar, MD
M.D., Universidad Libre School of Medicine in Cali, Colombia.
Residency, Internal Medicine, University of Connecticut Health Center
Fellowship, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Clinical and Research Interests:
- Hemophilia and Inhibitors
- General Hemostasis
- Thrombophilia and Venous Thromboembolism
- Champion H.R, Fingerhut, A., Escobar, M.A., Weiskopf, R. The Role of Data and Safety Monitoring in Acute Trauma Resuscitation Research. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2007;204:73-83.
- Roberts, H.R., Escobar, M.A. White, G.C. Hemophilia A and Hemophilia B, in Williams Hematology. Seventh edition. Beutler E., et al editors. McGraw Hill. 2006.
- Roberts, H.R., Escobar, M.A. Inherited disorders of prothrombin conversion, in Hemostasis and Thrombosis: basic principles and clinical practice. Colman RW, Hirsh J, Marder VJ et al, editors. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. Fifth Edition. 2006.
- Souza J.A., Escobar M.A. Rituximab as a Treatment Option for Acquired Inhibitors. Blood 2006;108(11):95b
- Escobar, M.A. Endpoints in clinical trials involving hemostasis and bleeding. Transfusion. 2005.45:s1:2S-3S.
- Astermark, J., Oldenburg, J., Escobar, M.A., White, G.C., Berntorp, E. and the MIBS study group. The Malmo International Brother Study (MIBS)-Genetic defects and inhibitor development in siblings with severe hemophilia A. Haematologica. 2005;90:924-930.
- Roberts, HR, Escobar, M.A. Other clotting factor deficiencies, in Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. Fourth Edition. Hoffman R., et al. Editors. Churchill Livingstone. 2005.
- Escobar M.A. Products used to treat haemophilia: Dosing, in Textbook of Haemophilia. C Lee, K Hoots and E Berntop, editors. Blackwell Publishing. 2005.
- Abdullatif ML, Donnachie E., Escobar MA. Recombinant factor VIIa partially reverses the effects of anticoagulants and antiplatelet agents on thrombin generation and thromboelastography. Blood, 2005;106(11):116b.
- Roberts, H.R., Monroe, D.M., Escobar, M.A.. Current concepts of hemostasis: implications for therapy. Anesthesiology. 2004;100 (3);722-730.
- Kempton, L.K, Escobar, M.A., Roberts, H.R. Hemophilia care in the 21st century and beyond. Clinical Advances in Hematology & Oncology 2004, 2 (11); 733-740
- Salicru A.N., Escobar M.A., Hoots W.K., Marshall G.D.. Elevated IgE associated with factor VIII inhibitor levels in patients with hemophilia A. The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2004;113 (Suppl)762.
- Planque, S., Escobar, M.A., Taguchi, H., Karle, S., Nishiyama, Y., Donacchie, E., Paul, S. Irreversible blockade of factor VIII antibodies. Blood, 2004;104:479a.
- Escobar, M.A., Chong, K., Hoots, W.K. Experience with the “off-label” use of recombinant factor VIIa in a university hospital. Blood, 2004;104:90b.
- Escobar, M.A. Treatment on demand – in vivo dose finding studies. Haemophilia, 2003;9:360-367.
- Escobar, M., White G.C. Mutation analysis and HLA genotype in patients with inhibitors and hemophilia A. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 2003; Supplement 1, P0665.
- Escobar M.A., Recombinant Factor VIIa: The possibilities for monitoring. Transfusion Alternatives in Transfusion Medicine. 2003;5:51-54.
- Escobar M.A., Hoots W.K., The use of recombinant factor VIIa in patients undergoing liver transplant. Transfusion Alternatives in Transfusion Medicine. 2003:5;37-40.
- Escobar, M., Delivery of Treatment for Haemophilia: Report of a joint WHO/WFH/ISTH meeting. World Health Organization, 2002;1-15.
- Escobar, M.A., Kempton, C, Ma, A. Successful treatment of an autoantibody in congenital hemophilia with Rituximab. Blood, 2002;a3915.
Location & Contact
6431 Fannin Street
Houston, Texas 77030
- Miguel A. Escobar, MD
- Department of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine
Division of Hematology
- Associate Professor, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
- Associate Professor, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
- Medical Director, Gulf States Hemophilia and Thrombophilia Center
- University of Texas-Houston Medical School
6655 Travis, Suite 400 HMC
Houston, Texas 77030