The Department of Pediatrics at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston is dedicated to improving the health and welfare of all infants, children, and adolescents.
Dr. Laura Benjamins
MD, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
MPH, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, School of Public Health
Residency,Baylor College of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine and Pediatrics, Houston, TX
Fellowship, Adolescent Medicine and Joint Primary Care, University of Texas Health Science Center - Houston Medical School, Departments of Pediatrics and Family Medicine
Board certified in Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine
Clinical and Research Interests:
- Epidemiology of Sexually Transmitted Infections in Adolescents
- Health Issues of Incarcerated and High Risk Youth
Refereed Original Articles in Journals
- Risser, W.L., Bortot, A.T., Benjamins, L.J., Feldmann J.M., Barratt, M.S., Eissa, M.A. & Risser, J.M.H.: The epidemiology of sexually transmitted infections in adolescents. Seminars in Pediatric Infectious Disease. July, 2005.
- Benjamins, L.J., Risser, W.L., Cromwell, P.F., Feldmann, J.M., Bortot, A.T., Eissa, M.A. & Nguyen, A.B.: Body art among minority high schoolathletes: Prevalence, interest and satisfaction; parental knowledge and consent.Journal of Adolescent Health. December, 2006; 39(6): 933-935.
- Risser, W.L., Risser, J.M., Benjamins, L.J. & Feldmann, J.M.: Incidence of Fitz-Hugh-Curtis syndrome in adolescents who have pelvic inflammatory disease. Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. August, 2007: 20(3): 179-180.
- Howard, B. H., Shegog, R., Ph.D., Grussendorf, J., Benjamins, L.J., Stelzig, D, McAlister, A.L.: www.PeaceTest.org: Development, implementation, and evaluation of a Web-based violence-prevention program in a time of war. Journal of Peace Research. September, 2007: 44(5): 559-571.
- Benjamins, L.J.: Genital trauma in pediatric and adolescent females. Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. April, 2009: 22: 129-133.
- Benjamins, L.J.: Practice guideline: Evaluation and management of abnormalvaginal bleeding in adolescents. Journal of Pediatric Health Care. May/June, 2009: 23(3): 189-193.
- Benjamins, L.J., Barratt, M.S.: Practice guideline: Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Journal of Pediatric Health Care. September/October, 2009: 23(5): 337-343.
Location & Contact
6431 Fannin Street
Houston, Texas 77030
- Dr. Laura Benjamins
- Department of Pediatrics
Division of Adolescent Medicine
- University of Texas-Houston Medical School
6431 Fannin Street, MSB 3.137
Houston, Texas 77030
- phone: (713) 500-5663
fax: (713) 500-5750