The Division of Pulmonary Medicine is committed to providing the highest quality of patient care as well as conducting basic and translational research relevant to pulmonary and/or life-threatening disorders in children.
The patients referred to our center undergo state-of-the-art diagnostic evaluation using the most recent technologies and receive individualized and compassionate medical management. The clinical outcomes in our facilities are benchmarked with the most prestigious institutions in the country.
Comprehensive and multidisciplinary pulmonary services are provided to infants, children and adolescents with a variety of respiratory disorders including:
- Airway abnormalities
- Allergic disorders
- Aspiration lung injury from swallowing dysfunction and gastroesophageal reflux
- Chronic lung disease of infancy, Bronchopulmonary dysplasia
- Chronic respiratory failure with ventilator dependence
- Cystic fibrosis
- Interstitial lung diseases
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Recurrent cough and wheeze
- Recurrent pneumonias or other respiratory infections
- RSV infection and its acute and long-term sequelae on airway function
- Sleep apnea and other sleep disordered breathing
- Technology-dependent children (diaphragmatic pacing, etc)
- Unexplained respiratory conditions refractory to conventional therapy
- Vocal cord dysfunction.
These services are provided in a teaching hospital with a strong academic environment as demonstrated by our Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine fellowship training program endorsed by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). Further, our experienced physicians and scientists receive funding from the National Institutes of Health for investigations into the basic mechanisms of lung disorders in children. The scientific information generated in the laboratories is rapidly translated into knowledge and/or therapeutic options, thereby allowing individualized and age-specific care. Building on the research focus of our physician-scientists, a variety of programs have been designed to better serve patients with respiratory diseases as well as critically ill children with rare and complex disorders.
Location & Contact
6431 Fannin Street
Houston, Texas 77030